Life & Other Stuff

Monday, August 30, 2010

Strawberry Bars

I love trying new recipes.  Was asked to bring something fruity to an event this past weekend and I wanted to bake something that would be easy to serve, eat, and feed over 50 people.  But, the question was what should I bake?  I went to one of my favorite "quick and easy" resources; All Recipes.

Strawberry Jam Bars

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup strawberry jam
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
1.In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and honey. Combine the flour, baking powder, allspice and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide the dough in half; spread half into a lightly greased 9-in. square baking pan. Spread with jam. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over jam. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
 
Serves approx. 16
 
Note: I doubled the recipe  due to the quantity of people I needed to serve and then cut the pieces pretty small (2 bite size).  The bottom had a nice "cookie" consistency.  No walnuts on hand so I used pecans instead.  It worked.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment