Life & Other Stuff

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tabbouleh

I love to cook!  Rarely am I a "follow the recipe" kind of cook.  My process usually begins because I have an ingredient that I want to use up or try, then I get on the computer and start searching for something that sounds tasty.  Unfortunately, sometimes these experiments flop on me and I'm left eating a dish I don't like but can't let it go to waste.  Then there are the other times when I'm thoroughly surprised. 

This particular recipe was inspired by a tabbouleh my sister-in-law picked up from a little "healthy/organic" cafe in San Francisco.  We were on a road trip and she had me taste some of her leftovers.  In her Tabbouleh she had bits of dried marinated tofu and quinoa (traditionally made of bulgur).  I had never thought of using untraditional ingredients in this traditional dish.  I couldn't wait to make it.

So, at home I had a bag of TJ's Harvest Mix.  I think you could use a variety of small grains if you wanted to.  What makes Tabbouleh delicious is all of the fresh herbs, vegetables, and flavors when the meld together.  So healthy, light, and delicious.  A great compliment to any chicken or lamb dish or even as a topper for your salad.

Delicious!



Inspired by Lemon and Fresh Herb Tabbouleh @ Epicurious.com


Ingredients:
1 pkg of Trader Joe's Harvest Mix (Couscous, quinoa, and other grains)

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 3 bunches)

3/4 cup diced red onion

2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced

1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill

3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

print a shopping list for this recipe


Preparation
1. I cooked the harvest mix in my rice cooker (using the same method I cook asian rice where you put your finger in the pot and add only enough water from the top of the rice (after its settled) to the first digit of your pointer finger.  This is my mother's method for cooking the perfect pot of rice.

Note:  I wanted to make it with quinoa rather than the traditional bulgar (see above link to original recipe) but the only grains I had that had quinoa in it was the harvest mix.  So, this was a bit of an experiment.
2. Transfer the mix to a large bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the rest of the ingredients until everything is well mixed. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment