Life & Other Stuff

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tom Kha Gai (Thai Spicy and Sour soup)

I had so much fun making this soup.  Southeast Asian foods are like "sparklers" in your mouth, especially if there is lime or coconut milk in it.  YUM!  I've been so curious what it would be like to cook with lemongrass.  Reaching of my culinary comfy zone I took the risk and made this.  I've had it in a restaurant before but I liked the fact that I could cut down on the calories by using "Lite"r ingredients.

Turned out to be delicious in my book! 

Tip:  I used my slow cooker for this.  You can make this soup vegetarian, chicken, or seafood and it would be yummy, I think.  Only thing I need to figure out a bit better is how to prevent the coconut milk from separating in the crock pot.  I wonder if it's because it cooked for awhile.  Might be better in a normal stock pot.


I took photos but they got deleted.  Next time!
Recipe:

Inspired by Tom Kha Gai @ Wikibooks Cookbook

Ingredients


Serves five.

2½ (600ml) cups coconut milk (Lite)

3¼ (775ml) cups chicken stock (low sodium, low fat).

4 stalks lemongrass, cut into 1" (2.5cm) bits or split lengthwise

4 small pieces of ginger.  I cut them sizeable because I personally don't like to chew ginger.  This way I can take them out of the soup and they are only in the pot for flavor.

3-4 mini chilies, finely chopped.

400g chicken, cubed.

1 medium onion, quartered

2 tomato, quartered and peeled

1 cup (150g) mushrooms, sliced

1½ teaspoon sugar

¼ teaspoon pepper

3 tablespoons lime juice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

4 tablespoons cilantro

Procedure


1.Bring stock and coconut milk to a boil.

2.Add lemongrass, galangal, chilies, sugar and pepper.

3.Add onion, tomato, chicken bits, and mushrooms.

4.Keep at a rolling boil for 4 minutes.

5.Remove the pot from the heat.

6.Stir in lime juice and soy sauce.

7.Garnish with cilantro and chilies

No comments:

Post a Comment