Plus, I've been looking for something I can premake for breakfast, then grab and go, to munch at my desk when I got to work. This seemed perfect.
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for coating baking dish2 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 c. fine-grain natural cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 c. milk
1 1/2 cups huckleberries, blueberries, or mixed berries
Maple syrup, for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 inch square baking dish.
2. Combine the oats, half the nuts, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the milk, egg, half the butter, and vanilla.
This is what I used that was slightly different from what was called for...
- sliced almonds. I liked the texture and it happened to be what I had on hand.
- extra vanilla extract. A fan of a little extra in baked goods seems to go a long way.
- great dish for a brunch potluck.
- definitely put bananas at the bottom. Added a bit of natural sweetness and a nice texture to the mix.
- I added the maple syrup at the end. YUM YUM YUM! But, I didn't add any extra butter. Didn't need any in my book. Save the calories.
- could also be a dessert. Add a scoop of ice cream, maybe throw in chocolate chips... versatile recipe!