Life & Other Stuff

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats

HAPPY EASTER! 

While I was browsing for Easter basket and decorating ideas, I came across  a posting on Apartment Therapy (LOVE this website).  The posting was about Rice Krispie Treats in the shape Easter eggs.  What caught my attention about this post, though, was that it was an idea from Bouchon Bakery.  Bouchon Bakery is this delightful bakery, originally opened in Yountville which is a small town nestled in the Napa Valley region.  This bakery creates some of the yummiest baked goods around.  I'd gone there on a special day several years ago so this place has a warm spot in my creative culinary memory bank. 

Who doesn't LOVE Rice Krispie Treats?  What fun it would be to form the traditional recipe into egg shapes and decorate them with pretty colors.  Of course, Bouchon did not reveal their FULL recipe.  The basic one with peanut butter or strawberries was included.  But there was no mention of who do you get the pretty little sprinkles they used to stick to the treat.  It was a mystery! 

Off to Target I went (I had other errands to run so Target was where I had to look for my baking details).  Based on the photos from Bouchon I considered what they might have used to get their sprinkles to stick.  I browsed my options: Frosting, sugary sprinkles, M&Ms, more sugary sprinkles.  Who in their right mind would add sugar on top of sugar on top of sugar.  I just couldn't bring myself to consider using a frosting base to hold the pretty colors.  And then DING went the light bulb in my head (Thank you Target for selling groceries in your store!).  What if I used Fruity Pebbles?  I could crush them against the warm krispies and hopefully they'll stick and give it a colorful "Eastery" outside.  Plus, it's cereal so the nutritional factor is higher than say frosting.

I can't wait to do this recipe again.  Next time, trying to figure out how to make them even prettier. So, here is how it went...

Juliana's Fruity Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats
Inspired by Bouchon Bakery's Rice Krispie Easter Eggs found on Apartment Therapy.



Prepare all your ingredients and open all your packages prior to cooking.  Speed is of the essence in this recipe as you want to be sure to shape the eggs and roll/crush the fruity pebbles around the egg shaped treats.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
- OR -
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
4 cups of Fruity Pebbles cereal (separate bowl)
Wax or parchment paper

1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add RICE KRISPIES cereal*. Stir until well coated. 
3. Using your hands (I also used a small ice cream scooper to control the quantity for each egg) spray well with cooking/baking spray so you don't get sticky.  If you use another tool like an ice cream scooper, spray it as well.
4.  While the krispie marshmallow mixture is still very warm, begin to form your egg shapes**.
5.  Smush fruity pebbles around your egg treats untill the treat is coated. 
6.  Firmly form your egg shapes with the fruity pebble coating
7.  Place on parchment or wax paper.

*I added a bit of extra fruity pebbles in the mixture for extra flavor.  This is optional.  I added about 1 cup.
**I was challenged by the egg shape.  My eggs began looking like round balls at first.  Eggs aren't quite round and their not quite tubular.  If you want them to fit in an egg carton, be cautious of its size.  Compare to a real egg and form accordingly.

Note: This would be a fun activity for the whole family.
Best if served the same day.  Treats should be placed in a closed container and will remain fresh for only about 2 days.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment